What is it?
Google Analytics is a free web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google Analytics shows high-level, dashboard-type data for the casual user, and more in-depth data further into the report set. Google Analytics analysis can identify poorly performing pages with techniques such as funnel visualization, where visitors came from, how long they stayed on the website and their geographical location.
In alignment with best practices, personal Google accounts shall not be used for managing university information resources or affiliated products. Instead, authorized university affiliates who will be using Google Analytics products will need to create separate, independent accounts as outlined below.
Note: You must agree to follow all best practices and other rules set in place by University Marketing and Information Security for using GA in order to secure and maintain your GA account.
- Naming Conventions: Each kind of account used for Google Analytics purposes must be a distinct, university-specific Google account, created under the following naming conventions:
- Admin accounts: [Department]Analytics@gmail.com
- E.g. DoITAnalytics@gmail.com
- Access accounts: [NetID]TxState@gmail.com
- E.g. abc123TxState@gmail.com
- If a user’s NetID contains an underscore, then the underscore shall be removed; in the unlikely event that duplicate accounts would be created (e.g. NetIDs a_b123 and ab123 both need to create an account), exemptions may be made, as determined at the time such conflict arises.
- Google account password and authentication requirements
- Passwords must be unique (not the same as user’s other passwords, especially NetID password)
- Passwords must meet or exceed university password complexity requirements (3+ character types must be used – Uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special symbols)
- Holders of Google accounts used for Google Analytics purposes should be university faculty or staff
- GA allows you to set permissions for individual users that include manage users, edit, collaborate and read/analyze. You should carefully consider each users access level and limit manage user access to Admin accounts only.
All users who would like a Google Analytics account (or would like to bring their account into compliance) must complete the following steps:
- Fill out the UMK Google Analytics request form.
- Following the review of your information, a member of University Marketing will contact you.
- For approved accounts, training and an overview of best practices will be provided as well as the setup of your account within the university CMS system (if necessary).